Thursday, June 16, 2005

Silver Tongues and Big Bucks

There are a few people in this world whom I admire from afar. Usually these are corporate CEOs, and big time athletes who use their influence and money for the common good. However, there is one man who has been capturing my attention for a few years now, and never ceases to impress me (which is a very difficult thing to do).

Steve Jobs is the CEO of Apple Computer, and Pixar Studios. I could spend my time here doing the same kind of Mac worship that my friends hear all the time, but I admire this man for another reason. He is a technologist who is actually concerned with the future of the user experience. Heck, it was Apple that introduced the world to the mouse. Can we even imagine using a computer without graphical displays and mice?

I have seen a trend from him that can be described very simply. He constantly pushes the high-end of technology by making today's high-end into tomorrow's common program. Let's walk through this, shall we? Here is a list of common things that were once exclusive to the high-end.

Computers, graphical interfaces (rather than text only), productivity software, digital pictures digital music, digital video, Wireless Internet (802.11b/g), Bluetooth, CD burners, DVD burners, USB, Firewire, Ethernet, Unix, file synchronization, LCD displays, instant file searching....the list goes on.

I admire him because he is not afraid to make new things into standards, to constantly raise the bar in terms of quality and cool. The most accurate description I have found of this man is "The Silver Tongued King of Apple". Everyone that I have talked to says that he is just as motivating and inspiring in person as he is on stage. Now THAT is a man I want to work for. That is a man worth admiring.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/06/17/2153249&from=rss

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home