Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Macworld posting #1

The trip

My trip to get to San Francisco was an interesting one. First off, I decided to go to Macworld only 2 weeks before the conference. This wasn’t exactly the best planning that I had ever done, but my entire trip has been relatively unplanned and disorganized, so it’s OK.

So my parents decide to drive me to O’Hare airport in Chicago to start my journey. The last time they took me to an airport was when I was in High School. Back then, you could have guests come with you to the actual gate to say goodbye. As we found, guests are not allowed past the security checkpoints. So we frantically said goodbye and I proceeded the awkward and rushed process of taking off my shoes, unpacking my computer and passing all of my belongings through the X-ray machine. The whole process was very impersonal and I received no directions, and they only screamed at me to keep moving along. This was a very negative experience.

The flights were fine and I actually got lucky and was seated next to another newly graduated college student, so we had a nice conversation.

Once I got to San Francisco and I got checked into the hotel, I attempted to find my friends at Fisherman’s Wharf. They told me to take a trolly, so I hopped on and hoped for the best. The trolly proceeded to break down halfway through the trip and the trolly tow truck had to rescue us. Finally we reached the end of the line at Fisherman’s Wharf and I had to walk 4 blocks to get to them. They met me with a gift of cold soggy veggie pizza. Disgruntled from the ride, I take and eat their gift and I tried to discuss where to go in the city. Then my friend Sarah calls and wants to know if I wanted to go out for dinner and coffee. Since a calmer night sounded really good, I took a cab back to my hotel and met Sarah. We walked around town for a while, wandered into some very seedy neighborhoods (quite by accident) and finally found a pizza place to have a bite to eat…which ended up being right across from my hotel. 5 bucks for pizza and pop…in this expensive town…I’ll take it. That was enough for me for the night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home