Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Ethics in computer sales

While doing some after-christmas shopping with the gift cards that my brother and I received, he made the suggestion that until I accept a full time job, maybe I should work at Circuit City or Best Buy. I thought about this for a moment because I have been going stir crazy at home. Then I realized that I could not bring myself to work at either of those places. I simply could not imagine recommending (in good faith) that a customer buy a Windows machine. At this point, if a customer wants to connect to the Internet and use it in meaningful ways (more than just browsing CNN), they need expert help just to keep things safe and secure. In my mind, all Windows systems will fail in this way. How can PC manufacturers possibly sleep at night while they advertise "safe and secure" PCs?

I am not looking to place blame on any company, but I wonder why these stores have never made real attempts to offer better products to their customers? Apple's Mac OS X operating system has been completely virus free for almost 6 years. I have asked Apple engineers about why this is the case, and they tell me that it is no accident. Apple takes internet security very seriously, and it shows. The real question in my mind is why haven't these stores offered Apple products? Apple has resorted to opening their own retail stores and they have actually accomplished the unthinkable (as far as retail goes)....every store is profitable in 6 months. Can Best Buy or Circuit City say that? I doubt it.

Hello World? You need to wake up and take your internet back. You don't need to be at the mercy of virus writers. Get a Mac...you'll thank me later.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris Essex said...

Well, Circuit City and Sears have in the past sold Apple computers... There is something undeniably cool about the Apple stores, though, that you didn't get when Apples were just dumped in with the PCs in these stores. I was in the Indianapolis one several times over the Christmas break and it was packed each time. I suspect part of the reason Macs aren't sold in other stores anymore is that 1) usually the salespeople there didn't know anything about Macs (not that their knowledge of Windows is that great either), and 2) I think that the Apple stores fit more with Steve's Masterplan than selling Macs in non-company stores.

5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home