Sunday, March 20, 2005

Common Good

This past weekend, I participated in a wonderful event. Every year, the Masons in northwest Indiana and the Knights of Columbus get together on saturday mornings during lent for breakfasts. We learn about each other's organizations and we bring in guest speakers to educate us and enlighten us about the world around us and ourselves. My dad has been the Co-chair of these breakfasts for the past few years, but this year I was able to go to 3 or 4 of them. In my humble opinion, it is the greatest partnership of charitable organizations that I have ever seen.

We have even been so fortunate as to have the local Bishop come and address the crowd. Over 100 men came together, Masons and Catholics alike (yes, some Masons are Catholics too) to listen to the Bishop speak. To me, neither the attendance or the speaker was the impressive part. What impressed me the most is that I overheard dozens of men talking about how they can get out and help their communities, and how the two groups could partner to be bigger forces of good.

I was not dining with famous people, senators, governors, or mayors. I was with average working men who simply wanted to give back to the communities that had given so much to them. Today, I was especially proud to be a Mason and associate with the Knights of Columbus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home