Thursday, January 13, 2005

Technology

I love technology. It is part of my every day life, and I sometimes wonder how I ever survived without it. Let me tell you about my average day. First, I wake up to music playing from my new 20 inch iMac G5 running iTunes. I get out of bed, put in my brand new contact lenses and check my email. Depending on the buzz at the moment, or the endless ranting on various mailing lists, it will take 5-20 minutes. Now, it's time to get ready for my day. I launch iCal and synchronize it with my palmpilot to make sure I have quick access to scheduling information at all times. I then sync my 12 inch powerbook with my iMac (all of this syncing is at the push of a button...(Thanks Apple!) so when I am in class, I can have up-to-the minute info about my own schedule. I go through my grooming routine, and finally, I leave.

Off to breakfast. I walk outside and around the building (I live in a dorm) to the dorm across the street for food. If the weather is nasty and the sky is grey, I am listening to my iPod. If the sky is blue, I am wondering why everyone else is listening to their iPods. I go get breakfast and pay for it with a swipe of my student ID (more technology). After breakfast I go off to class. Since the walk is always about 15 minutes thanks to IU's beautiful, large campus I always put my iPod on random and go with the flow. iPods can be quite good at predicting what kind of day I am going to have by playing songs with a common theme (bad, good, spiritual, fun).

In class, I take notes on my Powerbook using Microsoft Word 2004's Notebook view. Great technology. I record my professor's lecture and I type annotations that bookmark the audio file. Later when I review the material, I can skip to a section of the lecture by clicking on the corresponding notes. This is both very useful and cool. After class, I go to the IU Bookstore Computer Connections where my entrance is signaled by a greeting in unison of "Hey Mike!!". It feels like Cheers!

After classes and time at the store, I return home to my iMac, archive my email from the day and chat with my friends using iChat AV. Text, Audio, Video....iChat does it all. At this point in my life, typing is as natural as talking. I am not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing. At any rate, I usually chat until I am tired and then go to bed. Of course I don't go to sleep until iTunes is set to wake me up again for another fun filled day!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous posts are now accepted.

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home